Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

Every year it seems the tradition that we make New Years Resolutions... many of us do this only to set a goal too high in the exuberance of the moment.  It's wonderful to set high goals for ourselves, especially when we achieve them, but when we don't it only seems to add a sense of failure.  Now don't get me wrong... I'm not saying don't set high goals for yourself.  I'm just saying don't set unreasonably high goals for yourself!  I know there are some people who set their goals to never think of them again and are never bothered by it, but there are also those people who only seem to make themselves feel worse.
I have a Challenge Resolution for you.  I'm making it for me too.  Part 1: At least once a week do something for someone else that has no benefit to you or simply is a Random Act of Kindness (R.A.K.) Call a friend or a relative and let them talk... just listen, don't talk about you. (I tell my kids all the time: You have 2 ears and 1 mouth!)  Cook your husband or kids their favorite dinner or dessert for no special reason.  Make a batch of cookies and take them to your neighbor or to the senior home. Make a dinner and take it to someone who's shut in.  Pay for the coffee for the car behind you in the drive up or go down to the local cafe where the old boys have coffee in the early morning... pay for their first round!  Send a thank you letter or card to a serviceman or woman over seas or to Walter Reed Hospital.  Heck send a box of unused cards and a book of stamps so they can write someone else... I guess what I'm saying is there is some much that we can do to make our world a better place, and it's even better if we don't expect any gain from it! (but I do believe that good things happen to those who aren't expecting anything).  Part 2: Keep a journal... not to pat yourself on the back but to keep track of the positive things that happen or how it makes you feel about yourself)
I will post a weekly R.A.K. that I myself have done... We start next week!
Now, on another note... OMGosh! I woke to -23 degrees!!! It looks sooo pretty outside... clear, blue skies, frosty trees, sunny sparkly snow... and way too cold to go outside!  The guys think it's gonna warm up to go snowmobiling.  I have my doubts.
Our friends called to see if we want to come over tonight after dinner to play games, my husband thinks I should offer our house cause it's bigger... my brain is rebelling saying You will have to clean... my heart is saying what about all that stuff you just wrote! lol so, I'm thinking I'll call and offer... see what she thinks.
Happiest of New Years to you and yours...
KimV

No comments:

Post a Comment